Stuffed Tomatoes (North Indian Style)
Cuisine: North Indian
For the Tomatoes:
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded mixed cheese
- 1 cup boiled and mashed potatoes
- ¼ cup boiled green peas
- ½ tsp Pink Himalayan salt
- 1 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
- pinch of salt, adjust to taste
For the Gravy:
- 1 cup Tomato puree
- ½ Onion – finely chopped
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Ginger paste
- ½ cup Heavy cream or whipping cream
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Wash the tomatoes and cut off their tops, scooping out the pulp from the center, and keep it aside to use in the gravy later.
- Mix the mashed potatoes, boiled peas, salt, chopped cilantro and scoop it into the cleaned tomato bowls, filling them upto the middle. Now take the shredded cheese and sprinkle it on top of the potato filling.
- Heat oil in a wide and deep non-stick pan, add Cumin seeds and allow it to splutter. Then add the onions and saute until slightly golden brown. Add ginger paste and saute for one more minute. Add salt, turmeric and coriander powders and mix well.
- Now add the tomato puree, along with the reserved tomato juice, chili powder and saute until oil oozes out on the side and the gravy thickens. Add about ½ cup water and allow it to boil for 2 mins. Add Garam Masala powder, and adjust salt if required.
- As the gravy thickens, remove it from the heat, and stir in the heavy cream and mix well.
- Place the tomatoes into the pan carefully, and cover them with some gravy. Reduce heat to low flame, and place the pan back onto the stove. Cover with a lid and let it simmer for another 6-7 minutes.
- When ready to serve, transfer to a serving plate, being gentle with the tomatoes, and sprinkle some more chopped cilantro on the top.