Bell Pepper Tofu Curry
Serves: 6 - 8
- 3 large Capsicum/Bell Peppers, deseeded and cut into 1 inch squares or triangles
- 340 gms Silken Tofu, pulsed in a food processor to make a smooth puree (About 1½ cups)
- 400 gms Canned Tomato/4 large Tomato, pureed (About 1½ cups of puree)
- 1 medium Onion, finely chopped
- 1½ inch Ginger, peeled and crushed to rough paste
- ¾ loosely packed cup Fresh Coriander Leaves, finely chopped
- ½ - 1 tbsp Jaggery or Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder (As per taste)
- ½ tsp Haldi/Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Dhania/Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Jeera/Cumin Seeds
- 1-2 Dry Red Chillies, broken
- A generous pinch of Hing/Asafoetida
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds to it. When mustard seeds start to crackle and pop, add cumin seeds, dry red chilies and hing. Fry them till cumin seeds start to sizzle and change color to deep brown, about 15 seconds, on medium flame.
- Next add finely chopped onions and fry it till its edges turn brown, about 2 minute. Mix in ginger paste and fry for a minute.
- Add pureed tomato and mix them well. Increase the heat to high and bring the gravy to boil, about 3-4 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Mix in half of finely chopped coriander leaves, Brown sugar, Red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt to taste. Next pour in 1½ cups of boiling water and mix everything well. Cover the pan with lid and let it cook on medium heat for about 5-7 minutes, stirring in between.
- Mix in chopped bell pepper and pureed silken tofu and add remaining coriander leaves. Let it cook uncovered for 5-7 minutes on medium flame or until you see bubbles forming on the surface. Adjust the seasonings as well as add little more water if you find the gravy too thick.
- Let it simmer for another 5 minutes before switching off the flame. Serve this delicious Vegan Creamy Tofu and Capsicum/Pepper Curry with any Indian flat breads (Whole Wheat Naan or Butter Naan or with any stuffed parathas) or plain/flavored Basmati rice.