Chinese Vegetarian Fried Rice
Serves: 4 - 6
- 1 tablespoon safflower or other neutral vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 small bell pepper, any color, cut into short narrow strips
- 2 Carrots (strips)
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1½ cups cooked fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels, or one 15-ounce can cut baby corn, drained
- 1 cup frozen green peas or green beans, thawed
- 2 tablespoons natural reduced-sodium soy sauce, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Heat the oils in a stir-fry pan or large skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until translucent.
- Add the carrots and continue to sauté until the onion is golden.
- Add rice, scallions, corn or baby corn, peas or green beans. Drizzle in the soy sauce. Stir-fry over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the rice is touched with golden spots.
- Season with freshly ground pepper, and additional soy sauce if need be.
- Serve at once, garnishing each serving with sesame seeds, and if desired, some cilantro.