Mediterranean Style Roasted Eggplant
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into 3/4 inch rounds
- Olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp Sumac, more to your liking (you will find in Mediterranean super markets)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh Mint leaves or Basil Leaves
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- Toasted Pine Nuts
- Salt to taste
Ingredients for Tahini Sauce:
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup Sesame Seeds
- 3 Tablespoons of Fresh Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup cold water, more if needed
- 1 cup freshly chopped Mint (or Parsley) leaves
Preparation of Eggplant:
- Place the sliced eggplant on a large tray lined with paper towel. Sprinkle with salt for 20mins to let it sweat out all the excess water.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pat the eggplant slices dry and arrange on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Brush the top of the eggplant slices with olive oil. Bake in the 400 degrees F heated-oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the eggplant turns a nice golden brown or even better roast it on a grill.
- When the eggplant is ready, remove from the oven. There should not be too much excess oil, but if you like, you can carefully place the eggplant slices on a try lined with paper towel to drain.
- Arrange the eggplant slices on a serving tray. Sprinkle with Sumac. Spoon some of the pre-made Tahini sauce on top, and place the rest of it in a small bowl to serve. Finally, top the eggplant slices with the fresh parsley, pomegranate seeds, and toasted pine nuts.
Preparation of Tahini Sauce:
Serving Suggestion: Serve Roasted Eggplant dish with Tahini sauce and warm Pita Bread on the side.
Roast Sesame seeds in a skilet until they begin to turn golden brown and then stir constantly. Grind the roasted sesame seeds in a food processor. Start by adding 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Process the mixture into a paste, scraping down the sides. Add more olive oil until you reach the desired consistency.
- Now, add the crushed garlic and lime juice to the Tahini paste and blend thoroughly until smooth. It will be thick as it emulsifies. Add a little bit of water and blend again. Continue to add water until you reach the desired consistency. It should have a medium-think salad dressing-like consistency. Transfer the Tahini to a serving bowl, Stir in fresh chopped parsley.