Thai Eggplant curry
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 2 Tbs. peanut or vegetable oil
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 3 baby eggplants, cubed into bite-sized chunks
- 1 medium-sized onion, diced
- 1 medium-sized red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbs. white vinegar
- 3 Tbs. dark soy sauce, such as tamari
- 2 Tbs. dark brown sugar
- 20 leaves fresh basil, shredded or torn
- Cook jasmine rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat a deep skillet or wok-shaped pan over high heat. Add oil and crushed red pepper, and let sizzle for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Add eggplant, and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic, and stir-fry for 3 minutes more.
- Add vinegar and soy sauce. Sprinkle with sugar, and toss for 1 or 2 minutes longer.
- Remove pan from heat, add basil leaves and toss to combine with eggplant. Serve over hot cooked rice.