- Cook 2 cups of Basmati rice and keep aside. Make sure it is not too hot.
- Heat oil/butter in a wok and splutter mustard seeds, add onions, green chillies, Turmeric powder, ginger paste and saute till the onions begin to brown.
- Add some of the cleaned and chopped spinach and saute till the spinach becomes a little tender but make sure its not completely cooked. You can cover and cook the spinach on low flame for 2 minutes.
- Next, add the two cups of cooked rice to the wok and along with it add 1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1 tsp Curry Masala Powder, Salt to taste and saute for 2 minutes. Add more salt if required.
- Switch off the flame on the stove and sprinkle some remaining chopped spinach and stir in the rice mixture and cover the wok.
- Serve along with Raitha (An Indian side dish of yogurt containing chopped cucumber or other vegetables and spices) and fried black eyed beans.
Note: Make sure that you don't cook the spinach completely, it needs to be crunchy and hence sprinkling some spinach at the end helps give that taste.