Mint Chocolate Ice Cream Cake
Serves: 10 to 12 servings
Devil's Food Cake Batter:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Use egg replacer equivalent of 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup hot strong brewed coffee
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 gal. mint chocolate chip ice cream, softened
- 10 chocolate wafers, coarsely crushed
- 1 (4-oz.) semisweet chocolate baking bar, chopped
- 8 tablespoons whipping cream, divided
- Garnishes: sweetened whipped cream, thin crème de menthe chocolate mints
Preparation of Devil's Food Cake Batter:
- Preheat oven to 350º. Grease and flour 3 (8-inch) round cake pans. Line with parchment paper. Prepare Devil's Food Cake Batter, and spoon into pans.
- Bake at 350º for 12 to 14 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks, peel off parchment paper, and cool completely (about 1 hour).
- Place 1 cake layer in a 9-inch springform pan. Top with one-third of ice cream (about 2 1/3 cups); sprinkle with half of crushed wafers. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining cake layer and ice cream. Freeze 8 to 12 hours.
- Remove cake from springform pan, and place on a cake stand or plate. Prepare Chocolate Ganache, and spread over top of ice-cream cake. Let it sit for 15 minutes before serving. Garnish as desired.
- Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy. Add egg replacer, beating just until blended.
- Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, cocoa, and baking soda. Add to butter mixture alternately with coffee, beating until blended. Stir in vinegar. Bake batter immediately.
Preparation of Chocolate Ganache:
- Melt chocolate and 4 Tbsp. whipping cream in a pan in low heat. Stir until melted, stirring at 30-second intervals.
- Stir in up to 4 Tbsp. additional cream for desired consistency. Use immediately.