Flavored Mint Rice
Cuisine: South Indian
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves, tightly packed
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves, tightly packed
- ½ onion, roughly chopped (Optional)
- 1/2 cup fresh grated coconut
- 1 Tsp Ginger paste
- Green Chilli to taste (1 large or two medium)
- ½ teaspoon black peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 6 Cardmoms
- 8 Roasted Cashews
- 2 cloves
- Bay leaves (t torn pieces)
- 1 medium size cinnamon stick
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 medium gold potatoes (approx. ½ pound), cut into quarters OR 4 small gold potatoes (approx. ½ pound), cut in half
- 1 ¼ teaspoons salt (omit ¼ tsp if not using potatoes)
- ½ teaspoon Garam Masala
- Mint leaves for garnish
- Cook Rice ahead of time and set aside to cool completely.
- Add all of the mint paste ingredients into a blender and puree. Set aside for now.
- In a large skillet, heat oil in medium heat. Allow it a minute to heat up, then add the spices and stir. Once the cumin begins to brown, add the mint puree.
Sautee the mint puree for 4-5 minutes or until most of the liquid from the mint puree evaporates, then add the rice, water, frozen peas, potatoes, salt and garam masala. Stir it every 30secs.
- Once Mint pure is sauteed well (oils separates from the Mint), then add cooled Rice and mix well. Let it sit for another 2 mins without lid.
- Plate it into large platter and Garnish as desired.