Bagara Baingan (Stuffed Eggplant)
Cuisine: South Indian
Ingredients for Seasoning:
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
- 5 - 6 dried red chilies
- 7-8 curry leaves
- 8 - 10 Eggplants (Indian Style Preferred) slit into cross-shape at the bottom
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tomato
- 1 large lemon size tamarind extracted pulp
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves for garnishing
- 1 tbsp peanuts
- 1 tbsp grated coconut
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 medium sized onions sliced
- Cut Eggplant into cross-bottoms and put them in salt water to prevent oxidation or discoloring.
- Dry roast peanuts, coconut, sesame seeds separately and allow it to cool.
- In a pan, add onions, smear little oil and roast them for a minute.
- Make a fine Masala paste of all the roasted ingredients which are peanuts, coconut, onions, sesame seeds and put it aside.
- In a cooking pot, add oil and heat it, add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and allow them to crackle.
- Add Fenugreek seeds, dried Red Chillies, saute well, add curry leaves.
- Add the Eggplant and fry them well until the color of it changes.
- Add ginger paste and saute well for few minutes.
- Add the Masala paste into it, mix well.
- Add salt, Red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, mix well and cook the Masala until oil appears at the corners.
- Add the tamarind extracted pulp and stir well.
- Add water if required and salt too.
- Add tomato which is cut into two halves.
- Cook the Eggplants until the gravy thickens and oil appears.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice or flat bread (Roti/Paratha)