Hyderabadi Baghara Baingan
For the coconut and sesame paste
- Combine the sesame seeds, coconut, peanuts, ginger, garlic and onions in a broad non-stick pan and dry roast them over a slow flame for 3 minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin seeds powder, chilli powder and tamarind pulp and blend to a smooth paste using ½ cup water. Keep aside.
How to proceed
- Slit the brinjals, lengthwise, into four, but leave the stems on, so the eggplants remain joined at the stem. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and nigella seeds and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the brinjals, curry leaves and green chillies and sauté over medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Remove the brinjals and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add the coconut and sesame paste, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked brinjals, ½ cup of water and salt, mix gently and cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.